The Punishment
“So, can I pretty pretty please go for a bike ride, Mom?” I begged.
“As long as you are absolutely sure you aren’t going anywhere you shouldn’t.” she gave me that penetrating look, as if she were looking straight into my heart and could see my schemes. I smiled innocently.
“Of course not! Love you, Mom—be back later!” I rushed out the door and hopped on my bike. I sped away, down the street to the right and down the back roads. I felt a little guilty for lying to Mom, but I really wanted to see Jake. After all, I love him, and he loved me, didn’t he? He did; why else would he kiss me and hold me? Why else would he encourage the deceit to my mother and the constant visits to his house while he’s alone? He must be madly in love with me to want me to do such things; there’s no other possible explanation. Mom just didn’t understand—if she knew I was seeing Jake at all, she would have a fit. She couldn’t comprehend our love; and what did our ages matter? He was only three years older than I was. I was in seventh and he was in tenth. Who cared? I ignored my musings and rode on; I let myself in when I got to his house.
“Hey, babe.” He welcomed me by holding me to him and pressing his mouth to mine. We “hung out” for about an hour; I finally told him I had to get home, else Mother would get suspicious. He reluctantly let me out of his grasp.
“All right, go, then. But you’d better promise to come back, got it, sexy?” I smiled and nodded. I loved it when he said such things to me; I thought they were the sweetest nothings possible, and I delighted to hear them. I craved his attention and love.
“Bye. I love you.” I said with one last kiss.
“I love you, too.” He told me.
I biked home as quickly as I could. Mom would certainly be suspicious of what I’d been up to, and I was a terrible liar. My blood turned to ice when I saw our big green van pulling out of the driveway. Seeing that my mom was driving, I had no idea what to expect. Where was she going? What was she going to say to me? She didn’t look happy.
“Where have you been?” She demanded, putting the car in park.
“On my bike ride, Mom.” I lied through my teeth. She could see the lie.
“No, you’ve been at someone’s house. Whose house?” Her eyes burned into me; I couldn’t look her in the eye; I stammered over an attempted answer.
“I – I don’t know. I haven’t been any where; I’ve just been on my bike.” I bit my lip. She could see straight through me.
“You’ve been at Jake’s house, haven’t you? This is the last time, Glori! I’m calling his parents and telling them to keep him away from you; and I’m taking the internet out of your room.”
“No, Mom, please don’t, please!” I entreated her. “I just wanted to hang out with him is all, I just wanted to see him!”
“It’s not only that you went to his house, Glori! You just lied to me—lied right to my face! I’m appalled. I have to go to the store. I’ll be back later, and then your internet’s gone.” As she pulled out of the driveway, tears started flowing from my eyes.
How can she, how can she? I demanded to myself. I love him; he loves me; she doesn’t understand! I cried bitterly and sadly. I knew there was next to no chance of ever seeing him again, except perhaps by chance, in public. The trust she had for me would be broken, too, for a long time—what would I do? I cried all the more for her trust. I wanted her to trust me; I wasn’t a bad girl. I just wanted to see my boyfriend—was that so wrong?
Into the garage went my bike. My room is where I hid the rest of the night. The old computer stayed untouched on my desk; I couldn’t bear to use it when I knew I wouldn’t ever be able to again for quite a time…
Two Years Later
“I didn’t do it—I just somehow had internet back in my room!” I explained at dinner. The computer I had lost internet on for so long, and supposedly, forever; this thought to be endless punishment had somehow fixed itself.
“So you just got onto your computer yesterday and it mysteriously worked?” Mom inquired skeptically.
“Yup. That’s how it went. I have no idea how it happened.” And I told the truth; I had never attempted to restore my internet, even though I probably could have managed to do so without much difficulty. Consideration of ill-gotten internet only crossed my mind but once or twice. A devious person I was not; it was not in me to do such a thing anyway. Regarding me with mistrust, Mother continued to eat. Inwardly, I sighed; I had done nothing this time to earn the confiscation of my internet this time, but my mind entertained thoughts of it being taken anyway. I hoped it would not be so. I wanted my mother to trust me again, as fully as before, more than anything. She loved me and I loved her dearly as well, but trust was not a major part of that love. I only wish she would forgive me for my transgression from years ago. Guilt and disgust flooded my mind whenever I thought of what I’d done, and I wished so badly that I could take what I had done back. Take back my lies, my trickery and having gone to Jake’s house. I still wondered whether Mom would let me live my mistakes down.
“I’m going back up to my room.” I told her. “Thanks for the dinner—it was delicious!” Retiring to my room, I pondered over whether or not my internet was taken away. At 10:03 P.M. that night I still had my internet and had not been told that it would be taken away. I was dreading the possibility but realized it was realistic.
After doing my technically overdue homework that would not be late due to my fabulous teacher, I turned off my computer and went to bed. As I fell asleep, I prayed Mom would forgive me. I also prayed she wouldn’t take away my internet. It was such a pleasant thing to have access to, and even nicer when punishment was rightly undeserved…
The End
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment